From 5 a.m. ESt on July 31st to 4 a.m. EST on August 1st, the Rum Extravaganza will feature Seminars, Debates, Tastings, and More By Renowned Rum Experts via Facebook Live
Black Tot Rum – inspired by hundreds of years of Navy tradition – announces a 24-hour Facebook live event on July 31st to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Black Tot Day. The daily rum ration was served to British Royal Navy until July 31, 1970, which became known as Black Tot Day, thusly ending a tradition that had been in place for over 200 years.
Beginning at 10 a.m. BST/5 a.m. EST on July 31st, the event will be hosted by Mitch Wilson, Black Tot Brand Ambassador, and Dawn Davies, Head Buyer and rum expert at the Whisky Exchange. The 24-hour virtual event will feature rum sessions and tastings from Black Tot and a host of other rum brands including Mount Gay Rum and Hampden Estate, among others. Some of the world’s best bartenders will share their favorite Black Tot cocktails, and there will be interviews and debates between rum royalty, including Black Tot creator Oliver Chilton, author of “Rum: The Manual” Dave Broom and representatives from other acclaimed rum brands, including Luca Gargano (Velier), Maggie Campbell (Privateer), Steve Magarry (Beenleigh Distillery), and Margaret Monplaisir (St. Lucia Distillers).
Spirits lovers can join the exploration of blended Caribbean rums through a host of sessions and discussion, including:
- 7 a.m. EST: “The Pillars of Navy Rum” – offers a look at rums from the different Caribbean Islands that would have made up the final Navy Rum Blend
- 8:30 a.m. EST: “Tropical vs Continental Ageing” – examines the different results achieved when aging rum in different locations
- 11:30 a.m. EST: “The Evolution of Dock Rums” – dives into the independent bottlers who bring exotic Caribbean rum to the rest of the globe
- 1:00 p.m. EST: “Ageing at Sea” – Featuring guest hosts Alexandre Gabriel (Plantation Rum) and Don Benn (West Indies Rum Distillery) the discussion focuses on the ‘Dynamic Ageing’ that took place when the barrels were transported by sea, causing an increased interaction between the rum and the barrel
- 4 a.m. EST: Event Finale – The event culminates with a virtual trip to famous rum clubs around the world, such as the Sydney Rum Club, Florida Rum Club and Rum Symposium Europe.
The full schedule can be found on the Black Tot Facebook event page here, while a brand new website, launching in mid-July, will provide even more insight into the world of blended Navy Rum.
Further, guests can join in the fun and mark the 50th Anniversary by shaking up The Golden Tot, created by Black Tot Brand Ambassador Mitch Wilson to honor Black Tot Finest Caribbean Rum with tropical fruits and spices. “Tall, refreshing, and perfect for summer, we invite you all to join us in raising a glass to commemorate this Golden Anniversary of Navy Rum history,” said Mitch Wilson.
The Golden Tot
- 50ml Black Tot Finest Caribbean Rum
- 50ml Fresh Pineapple Juice
- 10ml Yellow Chartreuse
- 10ml Fresh Lime juice
- 5ml Demerara Syrup (to make, stir 2 parts Demerara sugar to 1 part water until fully dissolved)
- 2 dash Angostura bitters
- Top with Ginger Ale
- Glass: Highball glass
- Garnish: pineapple fronds and/or pineapple wedge
- Method: Pour ingredients together in a highball glass. Fill to the brim with ice and top with a quality ginger ale. If sharing with friends, we recommend making a large pitcher or punch bowl that can be shared with friends.
Win a month’s rum rations
Throughout the month of July, fans can also enter on social media for a chance to win a month’s supply of rum rations (three bottles of Black Tot Finest Caribbean). To celebrate the community and spirit embodied by the rum world, entrants will need to share a video or photo to Instagram or Facebook of them celebrating rum with family or friends while reciting the ‘Tall Ships Toast’ – a toasts that dates back over 400 years and celebrates rum and friendship near and far – using the hashtag #BlackTotToast. More details on the competition will be shared via the @BlackTotRum Instagram and Facebook accounts throughout July.
Originally found painted outside an old distillery in Ireland, the ‘Tall Ships Toast’ goes as follows: There are tall ships, And there are small ships, And there are ships that sail the sea, But the best ships, Are friendships, So here’s to you and me!
Black Tot 50th Anniversary Blend
Guests will also be treated to a special preview of the Black Tot Rum ‘50th Anniversary,’ a commemorative blend honoring 50 years since the historic Black Tot Day. Limited to 5,000 bottles, the 50th Anniversary blend will commemorate what has passed and honor the new generation of rums today. It will be a marriage of rums from the four cornerstones of the Royal Navy blend: Jamaica, Barbados, Guyana, and Trinidad. The new expression will be available globally in fall 2020.
About Black Tot Rum
The Black Tot Rum range was created by independent bottlers Elixir Distillers and tells the real story of Navy Rum, honoring authentic blending techniques of the past while providing an evolution of Navy Rum for the palates of today. In fact, the Black Tot family includes real liquid history – a bottling of the actual rum that was left over after the final rations were handed out, Black Tot Last Consignment (SRP $1,000).
As one of the (unintentional) pioneers of rum blending, the Navy created a ‘world blend’, combining different styles of rum to create the final tot that the sailors cherished. Oliver Chilton, head blender at Black Tot, continues to explore the heritage, complexity and diversity found in the different styles of Caribbean rum when creating the Black Tot range.
Inspired by the tradition of Navy rum, the most recent edition to the range, Black Tot Finest Caribbean (SRP $59.99), is a modern expression influenced by historic blending techniques. It blends rums from the Caribbean countries that would have been the cornerstones of the rum for the British Navy – Guyana, Barbados and Jamaica – to create a blend full of tropical, coffee and chocolate notes.
The range of Black Tot rums is imported and distributed in the US by ImpEx Beverages. For more information visit ImpExBev.com.