Greek Wine and Gourmet Food Producers Help Greece’s
Economic Recovery Through Auction Donations
The Hellenic Initiative’s 6th Annual Gala on September 21
Supports Entrepreneurial Programs in Greece
NEW YORK CITY, September 19, 2018 — Greek wine and gourmet food producers and purveyors from around the world have come together to help Greece’s economic recovery by donating items that will be sold in a silent and live auction on Friday, September 21 at The Hellenic Initiative’s (THI) Sixth Annual Gala in New York City to be held at the New York Hilton Midtown.
The spirit of Greek “hospitality” and sharing is apparent in both auction donations and the generosity of the event’s wine and liquor sponsors. The Greek word “philoxenia,” which means friend to the stranger, is translated as hospitality. Hospitality was an important virtue to the ancient Greeks and that virtue remains important in the Greek community today.
Featured donations will be wines and gourmet food from award winning companies such as Boutari Wines, Navarino Icons, Hellenic Farms, and many Greek restaurants, luxury destinations, jewelry, art, and fashion.
Visit auction website here.
THI leads the Greek diaspora community internationally in raising awareness and capital for Greece. Its Gala not only raises funds that will be invested in entrepreneurial programs in Greece, but which also will support Greek NGOs that foster economic development opportunities and provide crisis relief for underserved communities in Greece, particularly children. Last year’s gala raised more than $2 million.
Boutari Wines Wooden Case (six bottles) of 1879 Boutari Legacy of 2007 vintage. An authentic terroir wine from a single vineyard from Trilofos Naoussa. The wine was named 1879 in honor of the year that the company was established in Naoussa by John Boutari. The wine embodies the history of the family and introduces the modern consumer to the complex and fascinating xinomavro.
Value: $360. Minimum bid: $180.
Navarino Icons Gift Box includes: Extra Virgin Olive Oil 500 ml; Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Dip 500g; White Balsamic Vinegar 250 ml; Sesame Seed Bar (Pasteli) 55g; Olive Bruschetta; Plum and Spice Chutney; Apricot and Ginger Chutney; Lemon Marmalade; Biscuits 120g; and Seahorse bookmark.
Value: $130. Minimum bid: $75
Hellenic Farms is an importer and supplier of gourmet Greek foods. This gourmet gift basket includes: Extra Virgin Olive Oil; Estate Balsamic Vinegar; Vegan Fig Salami; The Magnificent Five (Greek olive varieties, in Greek extra virgin olive oil with basil and thyme); Sweet Red Pepper & Graviera Cheese Spread; Chios Island Mandarin Marmalade; Honey Bars; Office Blend Tea; Greek Salts Set; and Kanati, The Aegina Clay Water Jug.
Value: $250. Minimum bid: $125.
Restaurants, spirits, and luxury destinations that also have donated items to the auction include:
• Amali, New York: Wine class for 8 – 10 people. Value $1,500. Minimum bid: $750.
• AVRA, New York: Dinner for four. Value $400. Minimum bid: $200.
• Calissa Hamptons: Gift certificate. Value $1,500. Minimum bid: $750.
• Cesca, New York: Gift certificate. Value $250. Minimum bid: $125.
• Elaia Estiatorio, Bridgehampton, NY: Dinner for two. Value $200. Minimum bid: $ 100.
• Estiatorio Milos Restaurant, New York: Two gift certificates. Value each $600. Minimum bid each: $300.
• Kellari Taverna, New York City: Greek tasting dinner for 10. Value $3,000. Minimum bid $1,250.
• Lefkes: Greek tasting dinner for ten. Value: $3,000. Minimum bid:$1,250.
• Nerai, New York: Chef’s tasting dinner with Greek wine pairing for eight.
• Oceana, New York: Dinner for two. Value $150. Minimum bid: $75.
• Ousia, New York: Dinner for two. Value $100. Minimum bid: $50.
• Ovelia Psistaria, Astoria, New York: Gift certificate. Value: $400. Minimum bid: $200.
• Skinos: One case of Mastiha Skinos Ouzo (six bottles). Value $180. Minimum bid: $80.
• Thalassa: Cocktail reception for eight. Value $600. Minimum bid $300.
• Agalia Luxury Suites, Ios Island: Four-day stay. Value $3,700. Minimum bid: $1,800.
• Electra Hotels & Resorts, Athens: Three-night stay for two. Value$1,500. Minimum bid $750.
• Fly Me to the Moon Agency: Boutique travel designer. Value: $2,300 Minimum bid: $1,100.
• Hotel Grande Bretagne, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Athens: Two-night stay Deluxe Suite for two. Value $1,750. Minimum bid: $900.
• Mykonos Luxury Villa: Four-bedroom villa. Value $14,000. Minimum bid $7,000.
• Oia’s Dream Villa, Oia, Santorini: Seven-night stay. Value $5,500 Minimum bid: $2,700.
Wine and Liquor Sponsors
• Aris Vodka
• Cava Oinos
• Otto’s Athens Vermouth
• Skinos Mastiha Spirit
About The Hellenic Initiative
Founded in 2012, THI is a global, nonprofit, secular institution mobilizing the Greek diaspora and Philhellene community to support sustainable economic recovery and renewal for the Greek people. THI’s programs address crisis relief through strong nonprofit organizations. THI also builds entrepreneurial skills in a new generation of business leaders.