GORDON & MACPHAIL REVEALS SECOND 125th ANNIVERSARY WHISKY
— 35YO Glenury Royal is second of four ‘last cask’ single malts —
Gordon & MacPhail has launched the second of four commemorative whiskies to celebrate its 125th anniversary.
With spirit hailing from a closed distillery in Stonehaven in the eastern Highlands, the 35-year-old Gordon & MacPhail 1984 from Glenury Royal is ultra-rare and comes from the last cask of the make maturing in the Gordon & MacPhail’s famous warehouse.
It joins a 1972 Coleburn whisky launched in September. The remaining two whiskies in the anniversary series are set to be revealed in November and December – each as rare and unique as the last.
No spirit has been distilled at Glenury since 1985, when it closed its doors for the final time and was demolished after a long history stretching back 160 years. Founded in 1825 by Captain James Barclay, the suffix ‘Royal’ was added due to the owner’s friendship with King William IV.
Its extreme scarcity in the market has since attracted whisky fans from across the world and it is a prized addition to any whisky connoisseur’s collection.
Gordon & MacPhail 1984 from Glenury Royal [RSP $2,499.99*]
Just 397 bottles are available worldwide of this elegant and oily 35-year-old whisky, which was laid down on Thursday 7 June 1984 and has been fully matured in cask number 2335, a first-fill Sherry Butt.
Bottled at 49.1% ABV, the liquid itself is a rich amber in colour, with aromas of stewed fruit, cocoa powder, cinnamon, and toasted oak. On the palate, the whisky provides sweet orange peel, cherry, burnt sugar and dried fig giving way to a medium and fruity finish with notes of aniseed and sherry.
Stephen Rankin, a fourth-generation member of Gordon & MacPhail’s owning family and the company’s Director of Prestige, said: “Since 1895 Gordon & MacPhail has released single malts from over 100 distilleries, many of which are lesser-known or closed. The anniversary series is a true homage to this endeavour.”
For more information visit www.gordonandmacphail.com.
ENDS 5 October 2020
*Prices in international markets may vary due to local taxes and import duties.
For more information, contact Morag MacDonald or Stacey Bridges at Weber Shandwick on:
Gordon & MacPhail 1984 from Glenury Royal Distillery
Matured in cask 2335, a first-fill Sherry Butt, and bottled at 49.1% ABV. Outturn of 397 bottles.
- COLOUR: Amber
- AROMA: STEWED FRUIT aromas and soft notes of POLISH give way to COCOA POWDER. CINNAMON spice comes to the fore alongside tart PLUM SKIN, TREACLE and subtle traces of TOASTED OAK.
- TASTE: Sweet and drying with fresh CHERRY and ORANGE PEEL flavours. BURNT SUGAR and notes of DRIED FIG develop accompanied by BLACKCURRANT and fresh COFFEE grounds.
- FINISH: Medium and fruity with lingering ANISEED and SHERRY influences on the finish.
About Gordon & MacPhail Whiskies
For over 125 years, Gordon & MacPhail has been driven by a simple mission: to create single malt Scotch whisky of exceptional quality.
Through four generations of family ownership, the company has matched spirit from over 100 Scottish distilleries to its own bespoke casks.
It is this unique depth and breadth of experience that enables Gordon & MacPhail to combine oak, spirit and time to create a portfolio of iconic whiskies found nowhere else in the world.
- ‘Discovery’ – This flavour-led range is the perfect introduction to our portfolio of quality single malt Scotch whiskies
- ‘Distillery Labels’ – A range celebrating our long-standing relationships with Scotland’s distilleries
- ‘Connoisseurs Choice’ – The heart of our portfolio. Always unique, these non-chill-filtered, natural coloured, small batch expressions are genuine one-offs.
- ‘Private Collection’ – Greatly-aged single malts from celebrated, little-known, or closed distilleries specially selected by members of the Urquhart family
- ‘Generations’ – A prestigious collection of old, rare, and exclusive masterpieces